Spicy Italian Meatballs are a firm favourite in our house, and again this is something I literally made up as I went along.
It’s another one of those recipes that is good for using up what is in your fridge, for instance I’ve thrown mushrooms in there before now to stop them being wasted.
Slimming World members, as we know to be sure of the fat content and to make the meatballs free, you need to make your own.
Anyone else, ready made shop bought ones work well too, especially if you are in a rush – I always took this route before I joined the Slimming World crew!
Don’t be put off by the word spicy, they are not hot!
How to make Spicy Italian Meatballs
- 450g 5% fat beef mince
- 2 onions
- 2 pepper
- 1 Kingsmill wholemeal sandwich thin (use as you HEX B or count 5 syns if you’ve already had it)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Dried tagliatelle
- Blend the thins into breadcrumbs and finely dice one of the onions
- Add the breadcrumbs, onion, egg, salt, ground Cayenne pepper and mixed herbs to the mince, mix well and form your meatballs (you’ll get between 12 and 14 depending on how big you make them)
- Brown the meat balls and leave to one side
- Chop the second onion and pepper and fry in Fry Light until soft
- In a sauce pan add the tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, basil, oregano and garlic powder, then the onion and pepper
- Add the meatballs and bring to the boil and then simmer on a low to medium heat for 15 minutes
- Serve with tagliatelle
You can find a printable recipe at the bottom of this post!
Have you joined the Thinking Thrifty Foodie Club yet? If we’d love you to join us HERE!
Pin for later
Latest posts by Thinking Thrifty (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why The Early Bird Catches The Worm When It Comes To Investing - April 19, 2017
- Smoked Haddock Loins In a Mustard and Yoghurt Sauce: Slimming World Friendly - April 11, 2017
- Why You Should Be Meal Planning - April 11, 2017