It has to be said, the only thing I like about going into the colder months is Christmas and the food I can cook, so after a pretty nippy and windy Manchester day I decided on Cottage Pie for dinner.
I sent PK for the ingredients and it wasn’t without its usual drama after he forgot most of items on the list, including the mince!
Dinner was served at 9:45pm, but it was worth the wait!
As always, there is a printable recipe for this super tasty traditional cottage pie at the bottom of this post.
How to make Cottage Pie
I made double the mince mix needed so I could freeze some, leaving plenty to make another one on a CBA day where I’ll just have to add the mashed potato.
- 750g minced beef
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tin of carrots
- 1 tin of peas
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 200ml beef gravy
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 2 tsps mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
- Salt & pepper
- Chop the onion and fry with the mice until the mince is brown and the onion has softened
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tin of carrots, tin of peas and beef gravy.
- Add garlic, mixed herbs, Worcester sauce and salt & pepper
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- Chop potatoes and boil until soft but not not sloppy (you want your mash to be fairly sturdy), then mash
- Add mince mix to large oven dish filling to about midway up
- Add the mashed potato to the top and using a fork scour down the mash in straight lines
- Bake in a pre-heated oven on 180c for 25-30 minutes
Equipment I used
This is the perfect recipe to make in bulk to make sure there is plenty of food in the freezer, meaning you are less likely to go for extensive ready made food or take aways.
It’s also a right treat now it’s starting to get colder outside!
Pin for later
**This post contains affiliate links**
Latest posts by Thinking Thrifty (see all)
- Slimming World friendly turkey meatballs in a cheesy Philadelphia sauce - February 18, 2018
- Syn free, Slimming World friendly Chicken Rogan Josh - February 18, 2018
- Syn free, Slimming World friendly, super speedy omelette - February 18, 2018