The best thing about Slimming World is not having to deprive yourself of the foods you love, it’s a brave man that tells me I can’t have a curry once a week!
We love a good Rogan Josh in our house, and admittedly the take away down the road from us is absolutely incredible, however, it’s both bad for my pocket and my waistline equally, so I’ve had to tweak a few things to make a completely syn free, Slimming World friendly Chicken Rogan Josh.
To make things Slimming World friendly you simply make little tweaks here and there, it’s so non restrictive anyone can do it without it upsetting their day to day life.
All I’ve swapped here is Fry Light for olive oil and fat free yoghurt for low or full fat yoghurt – it’s that simple!
How to make Slimming World friendly Chicken Rogan Josh
- 8 boned thighs (skin and all visible fat removed)
- Olive oil Fry Light
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 4cm piece root ginger
- 2 tsps curry powder
- 2 tsps paprika
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 100ml cold water
- 1 x tbs spoon tomato purée
- 1 x 400g carton of passata
- 130ml natural fat free yoghurt (optional but better with in my opinion)
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Finely chop the pepper.
- Peel and crush the garlic clove. Peel and finely grate the ginger.
- Dice the chicken.
- Spray large saucepan (I use a wok) with olive oil Fry Light and heat. Add the onion and fry over a low heat until the onion is soft but not brown. Stir regularly.
- Add the ginger, garlic and red pepper and cook for a further 2–3 minutes, you can spray a bit more Fry Light on at this stage, keep stirring occasionally.
- Next, sprinkle the curry powder, chilli powder, cinnamon and paprika over the onion mixture. Cook for 1–2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the chicken and stir so that the chicken is coated in the spice mixture.
- Continue to cook the chicken over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked on the outside.
- Add the tomato purée and passata. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally and add a drop of water if the mixture is too thick or if you prefer more sauce.
- Add 130ml of fat free yoghurt for a creamier sauce. Add the yoghurt just before serving, heat gently for 1–2 minutes but don’t let it boil or the sauce will curdle and will look gross!
Slimming World friendly Chicken Rogan Josh is the perfect fake away – get in my belly!!!!
Latest posts by Thinking Thrifty (see all)
- Syn free, Slimming World friendly hotpot - November 1, 2018
- What you need to know about the new Ryanair hand luggage changes - November 1, 2018
- How the iSaveMoney app helped to get my finances back on track - October 31, 2018