I can feel the backlash coming, this could also be known as Scouse, Lobbies, potato hash amongst others depending on what part of the country you come from. It’s the whole barm / roll / cob debate all over again.
It’s a barm for the record!
In our house it’s hotpot, and without a single tweak to my grandma’s recipe it’s syn free and completely Slimming World friendly.
You won’t need many ingredients which keeps the cost per head down, and depending on how you cook it you could be sat eating a tasty, wholesome meal perfect for the colder months within the hour.
How to make syn free, Slimming World friendly hotpot
Ingredients for Slimming World friendly hotpot
- 450g diced beef (cheap cuts are perfect just trim the visible fat)
- 6 large potatoes peeled and quartered (chop again if they still look a bit on the big side)
- 4 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion halved and sliced
- 2 beef stock pots (you could use one in all honesty but my grandma and mum always insisted on two)
- 3 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
Slimming World friendly hotpot using the pressure cooking method
I love recipes like this.
- Bang it all in the pressure cooker and cook for 45-60 minutes depending on the model. Yeah man!
Slimming World friendly hotpot cooked in the oven
- Slice the potatoes instead of chopping them.
- Put all the ingredients baring the potatoes into an oven dish then layer the potatoes on the top.
- Cover with a lid, if you don’t have one you can use foil.
- Cook cook on 200c for 60 minutes, reduce heat to 150c and cook for a further 60 minutes.
Serve with pickled red cabbage or beetroot!
Equipment i used to make Slimming World friendly hotpot
It’s easy, syn free, cheap as F, what more could you want?
Straight out of the old school and still as popular in our house today as it was years ago.
In all honesty I prefer it with steak and kidney but find the world has turned really fussy and I never get to eat it this way anymore. If you are a fan of kidney like me I would highly suggest adding it.
Latest posts by Thinking Thrifty (see all)
- Syn free, Slimming World friendly hotpot - November 1, 2018
- What you need to know about the new Ryanair hand luggage changes - November 1, 2018
- How the iSaveMoney app helped to get my finances back on track - October 31, 2018