Smoky bacon and tomato spaghetti is a quick and super thrifty solution for tea time.
- 400g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 120g smoked streaky bacon, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Grated Parmesan to serve (optional)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the spaghetti following pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the bacon for 3-4 mins until just starting to crisp. Stir in the onion and cook for another 3-4 mins, then add the garlic and smoked paprika, and cook for 1 min more.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil and bubble for about 5 mins until thickened, stirring every so often to stop it catching on the bottom. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. I serve with Parmesan but that’s totally up to you.
David Naylor is the editor of the Thinking Thrifty blog. He is a frugal, nifty thrifty money saver. He is also a contributor to Clear Debt, ICOUNT Money and M1 Debt Advice blogs offering financial tips and advice.
Latest posts by Thinking Thrifty (see all)
- Spend time, not money this Mother’s Day - March 4, 2016
- Basic Bank Accounts: Why are the banks taking us for FUNTs? - March 2, 2016
- Two month update – £5,000 Challenge - February 26, 2016
Please follow and like us: